Many already know that our body is made up of at least 60% water and our brain 75% (percentage varies according to morphology). It is essential to our survival and plays a role in many of our vital processes. You guessed it, water has many benefits for your body and mind.
1. The benefits of water
From a biological point of view:
- It helps to maintain the volume of blood and lymph,
- It lubricates joints and eyes,
- It regulates body temperature
- It transports nutrients in the body and allows their absorption,
- It is responsible for the neurological activity of the brain,
- It provides hydration to the skin,
- It eliminates waste during digestion,
- It has an anti-fatigue effect,
- It accompanies weight loss by draining the body, ...
2. What recommendations?
The amount of water to drink daily depends on your lifestyle:
- You do not exercise but eat fruits and vegetables regularly:
1.5 to 2 liters are enough for you per day to keep your body hydrated.
- You do not exercise and you eat few fruits and vegetables:
Drink at least 2 liters of water daily.
- You exercise regularly, even intensively:
Add an additional 1 liter of water to your daily intake per hour of exercise.
3. How to drink more?
It's all very well to know the daily quantity of water to drink, but how to increase its consumption and respect these quantities?
Here are some tips for drinking more:
Add fruits and vegetables to your water
This will flavor, without sweetening your drink and will increase your desire to drink.
Go through teas, rooiboos, infusions, … to flavor your water.
Buy yourself a water bottle that you will carry everywhere with you.
In addition to being more ecological, you will have chosen a water bottle that you like and that you like to use. From the material, to the color, to the type of neck, there are a lot of options and brands.
Give yourself small challenges adapted to your daily life
Every time I sit at my desk, I drink 3 sips; I don't get out of bed until I've finished my glass of water prepared the night before; ...
Use a straw (reusable)
The straw helps you drink more and faster.
Don't wait to be thirsty
When the feeling of thirst appears, you are already dehydrated!
Use a specialized app or accessories
There are apps or accessories that let you manage how much you drink and send you reminders to remember to drink.